On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 13:20 -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
> [...]
> what the driver interface would look like.
>
> I guess we need a capability-conversion (?).. I mean take for example
> the the fb compression capability from your slide #12[1].  If we knew
> there was an available transition to go from "Dev2 FB compression" to
> "normal", then we could have allowed the "Dev2 FB compression" valid
> set?
>
> [1] https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2017/jones_allocator.pdf
>
> > Regarding in-place Vs. copy: To me a transition is something that happens
> > in-place, at least semantically.  If you need to make copies, that's a
> > format conversion blit not a transition, and graphics APIs are already
> > capable of expressing that without any special transitions or help from
> > the
> > allocator.  However, I understand some chipsets perform transitions using
> > something that looks kind of like a blit using on-chip caches and
> > constrained usage semantics.  There's probably some work to do to see
> > whether those need to be accommodated as conversion blits or usgae
> > transitions.
>
> I guess part of what I was thinking of, is what happens if the
> producing device is still reading from the buffer.  For example,
> viddec -> gpu use case, where the video decoder is also still hanging
> on to the frame to use as a reference frame to decode future frames?
>
> I guess if transition from devA -> devB can be done in parallel with
> devA still reading the buffer, it isn't a problem.  I guess that
> limits (non-blit) transitions to decompression and cache op's?  Maybe
> that is ok..
>
> > For our hardware's purposes, transitions are just various levels of
> > decompression or compression reconfiguration and potentially cache
> > flushing/invalidation, so our transition metadata will just be some bits
> > signaling which compression operation is needed, if any.  That's the sort
> > of
> > operation I modeled the API around, so if things are much more exotic than
> > that for others, it will probably require some adjustments.
> >

> [snip]
>

> > Gralloc-on-$new_thing, as well as hwcomposer-on-$new_thing is one of my
> > primary goals.  However, it's a pretty heavy thing to prototype.  If
> > someone
> > has the time though, I think it would be a great experiment.  It would
> > help
> > flesh out the paltry list of usages, constraints, and capabilities in the
> > existing prototype codebase.  The kmscube example really should have added
> > at least a "render" usage, but I got lazy and just re-used texture for
> > now.
> > That won't actually work on our HW in all cases, but it's good enough for
> > kmscube.
> >

> btw, I did start looking at it.. I guess this gets a bit into the
> other side of this thread (ie. where/if GBM fits in).  So far I don't
> think mesa has EGL_EXT_device_base, but I'm guessing that is part of
There is wip from ajax to add support for this actually, although it didn't do
much correctly the last time I played with it:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/mesa/log/?h=egl-ext-device

I was also hoping to write a simple egl device testing extension that lists
devices and that sort of stuff, as well made an entire seperate repo to start
holding glxinfo, eglinfo, and group said tool in with that. Haven't actually
written any code for this yet though