on 9/6/00 1:04 PM, Scott Raney at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> OK, for you Mac users, how about each time you try to run an
> AppleScript it instead brings up the Script Editor?  Wouldn't be very
> convenient, would it?

But this is exactly the way it works. You can save an AppleScript in two
ways, for the purposes of this discussion: as a script, and as an
application.

Double-clicking the script brings it up in the development environment.
Double-clicking the application brings it up as an application. Seems pretty
comparable to a stack and a standalone to me.

on 9/6/00 12:34 PM, Jacqueline Landman Gay at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> How about adding a preference setting to MC, allowing the user to set
> whether the development environment launches or not?

How about a property for the stack, which would allow you the developer to
determine how the stack behaved, regardless of the machine it was opened on?

on 9/6/00 7:50 PM, Scott Raney at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Another example: try
> creating a text file in a Windows text editor and save it as
> "whatever.bat".  Then find it in Windows explorer and double click on
> it.  Does it open in the application you used to create it?  No, it
> runs it as a batch file.  The same kind of thing happens on UNIX
> systems with a GUI, except that instead of keying off the file
> extension, it distinguishes these files with an execute bit in the
> file permissions.  MetaCard stacks have this bit set on UNIX systems
> so they can be run directly from the command line, or by
> double-clicking on them in a GUI file browser.

So what would happen if the execute bit weren't set on Unix? It sounds like
the stack property idea I proposed above is fairly close to what already
exists. In windows, you have to _change_ the file to make it an executable;
until you set the extension to .bat, it's an editable thing, not an app. So
MetaCard stacks, extension .mc, open in the editing environment. MetaCard
executables, .me (or whatever) just open and run, no editing environment.
Couldn't this be set up as easily on Mac and Unix?