On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, David Bovill wrote:

> The following piece of HTML...
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>metacard</TITLE>
> <LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="../style.css">
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <HR>
> <ul><A HREF="maillist.html">Date Index</A>
> [<A HREF="thrd2.html">Earlier messages</A>]
> &nbsp;
> <strong>metacard</strong>
> </BODY>
>
> Is stripped to...
>

> <P><GROUP>Date Index</GROUP>  [<GROUP>Earlier messages</GROUP>] &nbsp;
> <B>metacard</B>
>

> By Metacard when you set the htmlText of a field and then try to get the
> htmlText later.
>
> Now the offending line is:
>
>   <LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="../style.css">
>
> Removing it you get:
>
> <P><GROUP>Date Index</GROUP>  [<GROUP>Earlier messages</GROUP>] &nbsp;
> <B>metacard</B>

Umm, this looks the same as without it, right?

> Presumably because it is picking it up as an "<A HREF " opening tag. I need
> to fix this as I want to be able to translate between the groups that the
> user clicks on in a field and the "A HREF" links in the original html. To do
> this I aim to build an array where the order of the groups in the htmltext
> corresponds to the order of the links in the original html.
>
> Are there any other problems I should anticipate? I can fix this by
> stripping the header of "<Link ...> tag... what do you recommend?

The <LINK> tags really serve no purpose, even in browsers.  They're
more for content-management tools to use.

> Feature request
> The feature request is to retain all the html in the htmlText property only
> displaying whatever is possible as now, and to have a simple way of
> translating between displayed characters and those characters in the
> original html = htmlText.
>
> This could either be a function such as:
>
>   "function htmlChunk startChar, endchar, htmlText"
>
> This may be problematic for complex/unfocussed chunks, so maybe just...
>
> An htmlClickChunk property which would return the same as the clickChunk but
> something appropriate to the htmlText. Similar properties would eventually
> needed for other Metacard expression (hence the idea of a single function
> above).

It should be possible to do this with the existing HTML text features
as soon as we get hidden tags implemented.  I'm not sure yet whether
even totally useless stuff (like <LINK> tags) will be retained, but
certainly stuff like HREF tags will be.
  Regards,
    Scott