on 9/20/00 3:38 AM, Kevin Miller at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 19/9/00 3:15 am, Sound Medicine, Inc. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I am very unsophisticated as a programer. I can't for the life of me get the
>> post comand to work submitting a form. Is there any simple way to have
>> metacard fill in the fields of a form on a browser like Internet Explorer and
>> somehow hit the submit button? And, while I'm asking, is there an easy way to
>> get the source code of the resultant web page sent back to the browser read
>> into metacard?  Thanks to all you folks who have helped me in the past.
>> Peter Bower, M.D.
>
> As far as I know, you can't do this.  Actually communicating with an open
> browser to fill in fields on a page and then press a button is not something
> I've ever though about doing.  As a long shot, it might just about be
> possible on Windows with DDE and the Externals Collection, but I don't think
> this is very likely and wouldn't have any idea where to start.
>
> What you *can* do is post to a URL from inside MetaCard, and then get back
> the resulting page.  Use the post command to do this, and search through the
> list archives for examples of this command in action.

Agreed that it would be better to simply post from MetaCard and get the
results (you could even, with some effort, save the results to a file and
then tell a browser to open the file--but that would be difficult to
implement cleanly, what with relative paths, etc.).

But it looks like you can do what you're asking to do, at least on a Mac. I
haven't tried this, but from the Apple Event dictionary of Communicator:

register URL echo : Registers the łecho˛ application. Each download from now
on will be echoed to this application.
    register URL echo [ «class sign»] -- Application signature

Internet Explorer doesn't have this event, but does have:

GetSource : Get the HTML source of a browser window
    GetSource [ integer] -- Window Identifier of window from which to get
the source. No value means get the source from the frontmost window.
    Result : string --

regards,

gc