At 1:13 PM +0100 9/21/00, Kevin Miller wrote:
>On 21/9/00 8:59 am, Dave Cragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  A search for my smtp server address in the Windows Registry only
>>  produced a result in the settings for Outlook. So I guess each mail
>>  client keeps its own settings. I think you'll have to ask your users
>>  to enter the address themselves.
>>
>>  But I'm still hoping someone else knows a way.
>
>Hm - if you know the location for the settings for Outlook, then you should
>just use those.  90% of people will be using Outlook as it is preinstalled,
>so reading in those settings and then bringing up a screen for the user to
>check the settings are correct the first time the program installs should do
>the trick.  Those that aren't using Outlook can enter them then.

The 90% figure is probably for Outlook Express. Outlook is a
different program. I wonder who at MS thought up the naming.

But actually, your point illustrates the problem of relying on such
settings. For example, on my NT setup, Outlook Express is installed,
but I've never used it or configured it. Other people may have
configured it once, and then changed to a different e-mail program.
If they subsequently change their e-mail service provider, the
Outlook Express settings will be pointing to an old and probably
unuseable server.

I guess it's first necessary to check the current default e-mail
client (there is a setting for this in the registry, I think), and
then check the smtp setttings for that client. But of course, you'd
need to know the registry entries for a range of popular e-mail
programs, and there is no guarantee that these would stay the same
through version upgrades.

Asking the user to enter the smtp address is probably the safest solution.

Cheers
Dave Cragg