Title: RE: Rookie question - mouseUp on unlocked

Of course, how simple!

Thanks Andu
----------
From:   andu
Reply To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, 26 September 2000 13:58
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Rookie question - mouseUp on unlocked

>Hi all
>
>I'm just fiddling around trying to learn how to use MC.  I'm creating a
>simple temperature converter, and I've encountered a problem.
>
>My card consists of two fields (Degrees C and Degrees F), two labels(for the
>fields) and two buttons (Convert and Quit)
>
>If I understand the MetaTalk reference correctly (and it's more than likely
>I don't), an unlocked field doesn't receive mouseUp messages unless you hold
>down the ctrl key (I'm on a Mac).  How then do I script the field to clear
>itself when I click in it?  I've tried using a selectionChanged message
>handler, but it started acting weird.  Here is the code I'm using.

Tim, what you are trying to do is kind of against expectations but ... Imagine you entered the wrong number in one of the fields and you want to select some or all of it in order to delete/change it.

Set the lockText of the fields to true when you click the Convert button; that would enable the fields to accept a mouseUp. In that mouseUp you can put empty into the 2 fields and set the lockText of them to false.

>on selectionChanged #or mouseUp  put empty into field "Degrees C"  put empty into field "Degrees F" #I want it to clear both fields  select field "Degrees C"end selectionChanged #or mouseUp

>My plan is that you click on either field and it clears both.  You then
>enter whichever value you have (Centigrade or Fahrenheit) into the field,
>and click the Convert button.  Depending on which field you entered, the
>Convert button calculates the result and populates the other.
>
>TIA
>Tim

Regards, Andu