How do you folks handle designing menubars for both Mac and Windows?

As we've discussed here before, the ideal solution would be to have support
for Windows' MDI ("Multiple Document Interface"), so we could make one menu
bar and it would be at the top of the MDI parent window on Windows, and in
the menu bar on Mac OS.

But with MC as it is today, without MDI, we have two choices:

 a) Replicate the menubar at the top of each window
    Upside:   More closely complies with the Win HIG
    Downside: Requires a compromise to either the Mac HIG or
              Win HIG, in that you either make complete copies
              of the menu bar for all windows and then have things
              look right on Mac but having irrelevant menu items
              in Windows, or you tailor each menu bar group for
              each window, and it feels more Windows-like but
              breaks the Mac HIG (disabling menu items is
              considered better than having the menu items
              appear and disappear).
              Another downside is that you have to be careful
              that all your scripts which update menu items,
              like a standard Windows menu, are all updated
              needed; increases overall maintenance costs.

 b) Detach the menubar into a separate window
    Upside:   Dirt simple to update; one menu bar lowers
              maintenance costs
    Downside: Not very Windows-like at all.

Given these trade-offs, which model do you folks use, and why do you prefer
it?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation