on 3/13/01 10:41 PM, Richard Gaskin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How do you folks handle designing menubars for both Mac and Windows?
>
> As we've discussed here before, the ideal solution would be to have support
> for Windows' MDI ("Multiple Document Interface"), so we could make one menu
> bar and it would be at the top of the MDI parent window on Windows, and in
> the menu bar on Mac OS.
>
> But with MC as it is today, without MDI, we have two choices:
>
> a) Replicate the menubar at the top of each window
> Upside:   More closely complies with the Win HIG
> Downside: Requires a compromise to either the Mac HIG or
> Win HIG, in that you either make complete copies
> of the menu bar for all windows and then have things
> look right on Mac but having irrelevant menu items
> in Windows, or you tailor each menu bar group for
> each window, and it feels more Windows-like but
> breaks the Mac HIG (disabling menu items is
> considered better than having the menu items
> appear and disappear).
> Another downside is that you have to be careful
> that all your scripts which update menu items,
> like a standard Windows menu, are all updated
> needed; increases overall maintenance costs.
>
> b) Detach the menubar into a separate window
> Upside:   Dirt simple to update; one menu bar lowers
> maintenance costs
> Downside: Not very Windows-like at all.
>

> Given these trade-offs, which model do you folks use, and why do you prefer
> it?

I have been using option B.  I have not received much flak from win users.
In fact, I have had only one user really ream me for it.  But, I have been
considering looking at option A.  It will be a lot more work to do it that
way though.

The reason for option B is that I develop on a Mac first.  I am a big Mac
fan and always start there.  It is just a few more lines of code to make to
all work on the PC.  Development time is the biggest consideration at this
point.

-Mark