> My initial attempt wasn't successful - when the make script runs
>
> gcc -shared -o libmk4.so column.o custom.o derived.o fileio.o field.o
> format.o handler.o persist.o remap.o std.o store.o string.o table.o univ.o
> view.o viewx.o
>
> gcc fails with screens and screens full of undefined references. I also
> note that "libmk4.so" should presumably be "libmk4.dll" for MinGW.
>
> I'll investigate further this evening and check that my environment is
> sane - I'm using the MSYS/MinGW download from tcl.sf.net rather than the
> one from the mingw.org. Watch this space.

I've figured out the major problem - it looks like both MSYS/MinGW and
cygwin/MinGW environments need "g++" to be used to link the final DLL, not
"gcc". Changing SHLIB_LD in the Makefile to g++ allowed the build to
continue to completion and the examples run perfectly.

As an aside, I did notice that the section of configure.in that evaluates
$build_os does not recognize my cygwin install as cygwin, since

$ uname -s
CYGWIN_NT-5.1

i.e. the case is different to the cyg* pattern match attempted in
configure.in. There's no code at all to set correct extensions for
MSYS/MinGW.

Jean-Claude, I can have a go at fixing this if you'd like a patch.

Gareth