Hi John,

 Using a CBN Blade sold by the company you referred to is a bad idea
in my experience. In the past I used their blades and they were great
early on. Don't know what happened but the quality of the blades went
down and I coudn't even cut a half inch before the material on the
blade wore off. I could feel on the blade where it was smooth and other
areas maybe still a little cutting material left.

 I commented to the company owners before they sold the business and
they were concerned as I showed them the blades and mentioned how long
the blades lasted. However the problem was never solved and I stopped
wasting my $$ on the blades.

 I don't recommend that someone who hasn't cut meteorites before cut
off a sample. Picking the right spot so as not to detract from the mass
is important. No doubt you will get a lot of people offering to cut for
you, some good some not so good. Why not take it to the meteorite lab
in Portland to have a sample cut. I would bet they would allow you to
be there during the cutting.

 I'd make sure they know what they are doing as I have seen cutting
jobs messed up by some of the best known institutions. One place lost
over a kilo of material from their lack of knowledge of the material.

 Good luck!

 --AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites

 Quoting John Pierce via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>:

Hello All,

This is my first post here.  I joined recently because I found a lovely
nickel-iron meteorite, and that has spurred my further interest in this
subject.  My meteorite has been confirmed as the real thing by staff of the
Meteorite Lab at Portland State University, who would like to perform
classification.  It is 11.2 kg, and according to PSU staff, it will be only
the seventh classified meteorite ever found in the state of Oregon.

I?ve enjoyed reading these archives, but I haven?t yet been able to find
answer to my question.

I?m posting here to ask if anyone has any experience cutting an iron
meteorite with the CBN blade that is sold by Johnson Brothers Lapidary.  They
advertise it as just the thing for cutting irons.  I?m interested to know
anything about blade life, rim speed, feed rate, and using plain water as a
coolant/lubricant.  For cutting the analysis sample, I have machining
experience and very suitable tools, except for the blade, which I would
like to be a circular blade.

I welcome replies here on the forum, or by private email.

Kind regards,

John