Hi, all.

   Chassigny contains no chondrules. It does have spherical and ellipsoidal
inclusions in its olivine crystals. The inclusions contain silica-rich glass,
pryoxene sprays, amphibole, whitlockite, and biotite. Their textures look a
bit like chondrules, but that only represents the same physical conditions:
rapid cooling of silicate magma.
   Several papers in the technical literature have nice photos of these magmatic
inclusions: 1) Floran et al., 1978, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 42, 1213-1229.
2) Johnson et al., 1991, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 55, 349-366.

   The idea of chondrules in Chassigny dates back at least to 1962, in the
paper Jeremine E., Orcel J., and Sandrea A. (1962) Etude mineralogique
et structurale de la meteorite de Chassigny. Bull. Soc. fr. Mineral. Crist.
LXXXV, 262-266. They showed pictures of the magmatic inclusions, and
(apparently thinking only of chondrite meteorites, and not 'normal'
igneous rocks) called them "chondre naissant."

   Cheers

  Allan

Allan H. Treiman
Senior Staff Scientist