Dear List;
I think for someone to point and click to get to ebay is a conscious decision....so one doesn't have to go there at all!
As for sellers preferring ebay, it is a place for the seller to safely sell (well, most of the time), especially to unfamiliar or questionable buyers, this process also assures that the buyer gets the best exposure to ALL interested buyers, and that a better price may be realized by this wider audience. Buyers should never put in a bid that is higher than they are willing to pay....doh!
The buyer also has the choice not to visit ebay, did I mention that? On items such as a slice of very rare (the only type specimen-crumb missing from my Mars collection), one MUST get the top dollar that the market will bear as there is only so much around, ever!
One buyer buying/offering to buy is not representative of the total world market and thus ebay is pertinent to realizing the most possible financial gain/break even amount related to exposure to the masses. I would not expect to see a slice of Chassigny in a yard sale!
Whining that one paid too much is a fine thing (we all do), whining that ebay made one do it is silly!
best,
Dave Freeman
ebay user id mjwy with auctions running!

Steve Schoner wrote:

--- Michael L Blood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Steve,
Did I read that correctly? You bought
something on
EBAY???

With regrets, yes.  I got caught up in the "Ebay
aution hype-fever" and think I paid much more for this
than what I ought to have spent.

But there was no other choice.  That is the way Arnold
wanted to sell it, via Ebay, and it was at that time
the only Chassigny thin slice available, and I don't
think that there have been any since.

I "won" it by putting in a very high price at the very
last seconds of the auction.

And the "auction hype-fever" that I got involved in
(my fault and failing) is one of the many reasons I
hate Ebay.

Steve Schoner/ams