The best thing at the auction did not sell. Fred Hall provided a printing press used by Glenn Huss and Nininger on various publications. I think it would be nice if national meteorite displays showed more of the humanist aspect in meteorites and cant think of a better item to have showing. Fred Hall has always been a Nininger fan and with the press, but for display only was several things, including an old custom made briefcase once used by Nininger. Knowing Fred would be there with his Nininger items, I brought for him a brick from the ruins of Nininger's original museum and a postcard I made from a photo I told while there.

Outside the auction a middle age man in leather jacket came up to me and quietly asked were the keg was. This man was Rob Elliott. The first Denver shows for Rob. Hope you enjoyed the show Rob and choose to come back next year.

After the auction the keg was brought to Blaine Reed's room where it was finished off, something that is starting to become tradition with the auction keg. After the keg went dry and the cooler was made lighter, several of us ventured outdoors were cigars were shared. I'm not a big cigar fan, but several of the meteorite people smoke then and since it's kind of a Tucson/Denver tradition, I indulged.

The Holiday Inn has a bar/restaurant and it was here my Lunar Rock Team badge was first tested. Four lines of people waited to get through the hotel lobby into the bar. By holding out our badges we were allowed to cut in front of everyone and not pay the cover charge to get in.

Steve Drummond would find that by wearing his badge at the show, he saved $75.00 on a custom ring. After seeing the badge being taken by people as meaning something, I would wear the badge the rest the show.

The bar was full of people and drinks were plentiful. Before I would finish one drink, one or two others would arrive in its place. One of these drinks was named the "oatmeal cookie". This drink did not agree with four of the people at the table, myself included. All should fear the oatmeal cookie.

It's hard to go to the Denver or Tucson show and not pick through the piles of Sikhotes the Russians always seem to have. Usually I just pick a couple of the nicer pitted looking one, this time I decided to be different and picked through the oriented sikhotes. My time was soon rewarded with several small heat shields and a very cool double oriented meteorite. It has been said for a couple years that the Sikhote were getting harder to find. After asking about this, I was told that hunters were once finding several kilos a day is now finding "400 grams, if they are lucky." While I can not tell you if this is true or not, there were less people selling sikhotes at Tucson and Denver this year, then the year before.

I avoided the Merchandise Mart on Friday because Friday is always kid day. The previous years found very few meteorites in this part of the show but the mineral displays and possible fossil bargains make it impossible to save away from. I started by first looking over the displays...get my drooling out of the way.

These cabinets are always filled with would class specimens. Many organizations including the American National History Museum, colleges from around the United States and local mineral clubs, provided displays. They give ribbon awards but had yet to do so when I saw them. If I were the one giving the awards, the blue ribbon would go to a collection of later 1800 and early 1900 survey and mining equipment. These elaborate machines would often be made of hundreds of parts and look like something out of a mad scientist laboratory.

No trip to the Merchandise Mart is complete without getting eaten by the Mr. Bones. Mr. Bones is a dinosaur skeleton costume wearing man that walks around and entertains the kids.... And adults. His big move is closing his jaws around his victim. Once again, I managed to live through it.

One place I make sure to stop at the Merchandise Mart every year is Donald Hahn's booth. Donald sells books and excerpts in many science fields including meteorites. I tend to purchase a lot of meteorite books so I have known Hahn for several years now. A month before the show, he told me to stop by his booth, something I am very glad I did. To my delight, setting at Donald's booth was no other then Dr. Robert Bakker. Bakker is one of the world's most profile dinosaur paleontologists and is often a television guest. He sat in a chair drawling dinosaurs inside his books, while talking dinosaurs. His chair was next to the meteorite books so I soon found myself within conversation.

I searched meteorite books while Dr. Bakker explained why Dinosaurs were warm-blooded to another customer and conversation changed to extinction. Bakker mentioned his dislike for the meteorite impact theory making the comment, "You don't find dinosaur bones at the K/T level." I could not help but mention the acid rain that would follow such an impact and therefore give away that I am pro-impact theory. After a couple of exchanges I changed the subject back to warm blooded dinosaurs. Having a short debate with Bakker was nice but this was his stage, and I did not wish to up step him.

I was able to purchased a hardbound copy of his best selling book, The Dinosaur Heresies for only $19.99, in which he draw a Ceratorsaurus inside. "Don't sell it on eBay" Bakker joked while handing the book to me. Being an eBay powerseller I had to chuckle. I invited Brakken to the annual meteorite dinner later that night and moved to let Bakker entertain the crowd he was now creating.

Marvin Killgore could be found on the first floor as usual. Sharing a room Marvin had a few goodies with his as usual. A cubed etched Campo, large Gibeon slices cut wafer thin, and lunar thin sections tempted my wallet and me.

The Comet Dinner at La Loma was enjoyable as usual. Finger foods and chips and sauce were provided by the Comets and enjoyed by the early arrivals. Early during a show means not being late. We filled the room and fell over into the bar. The large Margaritas are always a hit and they could be seen across our tables like ornaments. (Thanks Mike Farmer for paying for one of my drinks). I did not close out "this" bar but I heard they restaurant staff were waiting for our group to finish up so they could leave.

After the dinner it was back to the holiday room for more drinks at Reed's and then another night of closing the bar on the first floor. No oatmeal cookies were ordered this time and breakfast was easier to eat the next morning.

Sunday was finishing deals, picking up orders, and trying to get out of town before noon. Football on AM radio entertained us on the way home. We made the trip in less the 8 hours stopping only for gas.

Overall I think Denver was a good show. My thanks for all that attended, if I left your name out, please forgive me. Adam and Greg Hupe, Jim Strope, Eric Olsen, Mike Farmer, John Schooler, Blaine and Blake Reed (of course), Fred Hall, Bill and Mike Jenson, Anne Black, Matt Morgan, Marvin Killgore, Al Mitterling, Steven Drummond, Fred Olsen, Geoff Notkin, Edwin Thompson, Michael Blood, Bob King, Anne Black, Gregory Wilson, Rob Elliott, Bill Mason and many others could be seen walking around. (Please forgive me if I left off your name).

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.