On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:42:18 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>Here's a fellow who must stay so far back in his laboratory at AU that they
>mail him daylight.
>Professor Paul Davies, purported to be a physicist, has "alien life" sitting
>in the meteorite collection down the hall from him...so to speak..and he makes
>this idiotic pronouncement. All he accomplished was to show his ignorance of
>the current science and provide fodder for the argument against tenure.

The idea isn't that outrageous (or that non-mainstream.)  We don't know if
non-protien/nucleic acid life exists on Earth or not.  It may be a very long
shot, but if someone is willing and able to devote their time and resources to
searching, more power to them.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/et_life.shtml

http://espanol.astrobio.net/exclusive/3148/the-search-for-life-on-earth

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/aliens-among-us