On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Jonas Thorell wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Fred Wright wrote:
>
> > > Do I get you right, when you say, that with MiamiDX it is not possible to
> > > go online from another machine through a LAN ?
>
> > No, what I said is that with Miami *not Dx* you can't do that, since
> > there's no way it can connect to both at once.
>
> Maybe just me...but "through I LAN" I read as going through
> a proxy or a gateway. That's certainly possible with
> Miami without a need for several interfaces. Meaning you
> have both LAN and Internet-access at the same time.

That's not how I read "from another machine through a LAN".  Sure Miami is
just fine to access the net via aa LAN and some *other* machine, although
in that case the primary firewall protection would need to be elsewhere,
since it couldn't fully reliably distinguish between local and nonlocal
machines (given the possibility of spoofing).

                                        Fred Wright