Hi Marcus,

I'm cc-ing mico-devel, since this might be of interest to others as well.

Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Karel,
>
> Karel Gardas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Some other issue are the strict alias warnings, which are worked-around
>>> with -fno-strict-aliasing both inhouse and in darcs HEAD. As this is
>>> only a workaround which also disables some optimizations, we intend to
>>> "really" fix those issues, but I can't give any promise or timeline.
>>> Also, I don't know whether someone else is working on this issue.
>> as far as I know nobody is working on strict aliasing issue yet. I've
>> investigated this just shortly few years ago and was satisfied with the
>> -fno-strict-aliasing workaround although as you mentioned this is not
>> optimal solution. If you do have idea how to fix it, I'm happy to
>> discuss it with you here. (I don't remember exactly, but IIRC it was
>> something to do with marshaling/un-marshaling using unions...)
>
> OK, then I'll have a look into this issue. However, I'll be on vacation
> the next week, so don't hold your breath.

That's perfectly OK. I think this might be a little bit destabilizing
change and so this will not go into 2.3.13 anyway. FYI: 2.3.13 should be
out sometime in next 2 weeks or so.

>> Not applied as this breaks build on any platform without finite with
>> throw (verified on SunOS 5.11 + GNU C++ 3.4.3). I think this issue needs
>> proper patch in MICO's configure machinery.
>
> I suspected something like this.
>
>> Hmm, are you sure 2.3.12 release is not affected.
>
> Actually, not 100%, I'll recheck. It might be that I accidentally used
> a internally patched version.
>
>> That's strange, since
>> there is no change on this front since it IIRC. Anyway, to start with
>> autoconf machinery you will need to install autoconf-2.13 and then study
>> configure.in and aclocal.m4. The former file uses some macros defined in
>> the later file. I think in the worst case you will need to write your
>> own M4 macro detecting finite prototype properly. Currently it seems to
>> be done by grepping math.h header file (in configure.in).
>
> Yes, it seems that they preprocess a file that contains "#include
> <math.h>", and grep for the word "finite". Somehow this does not work.
> I currently have autoconf-2.61 installed, I hope that this is not
> breaking anything.
>
> The weird thing is that the check for the finite function itself works
> fine (minus a warning).
>
> configure:15167: checking for finite
> configure:15223: gcc -o conftest -O2  -Wall    conftest.c -lreadline
> -lncurses -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lm  >&5
> conftest.c:81: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'finite'
> configure:15229: $? = 0
> configure:15247: result: yes
>

> I'll see what I can do, but I don't have much ideas ATM.

Two notes:

1) autoconf-2.13 is required

2) for configure.in -> configure generation you cannot use just
`autoconf', but use bootstrap.sh script which takes care of it. It also
does its best to find appropriate autoconf version for you.

Thanks!
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]