On Dec 2, 2005, at 9:38 PM, Benjamin Carlyle wrote:
I'm wanting to use tags as part of my blog entry posts, but I don't like
explicit tagging. I just want a single link at the bottom of each blog
entry to point to its category, and for that to be interpreted as one or
more tags.

Now, rel-tag appears to do the right thing for:
<a
href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/ software">software</a>

yes, that is the spec

Now I want it to make sense of a hierarchical category system:
<a
href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/benjamincarlyle/benjamin/blog/ software/httpsubscription">software/httpsubscription</a>

I think the current proposal would tag this as
"software/httpsubscription", when in fact it really means two tags:
"software"+"httpsubscription".

No, it would tag it as 'httpsubscription'
Tagspaces are defined to be flat.

What will current parsing do (especially technorati) with my input? Is
my data point something that could be applied more generally? Should the
specification cover this case?

No, tagspaces are meant to be flat. If you want hierarchy you need something else.