On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Ryan King wrote:

That's right. The reason you can't collapse a 'vcard' class name and its 'fn' class name is that it makes putting a 'vcard' class name inside another one becomes ambiguous.

I've seen this explanation a few times, and I've never personally found the separation of vcard and fn to be a problem, but I don't understand the explanation. Couldn't the spec prevent such ambiguity simply by stating that vcard and fn in the same node should be treated by parsers as an fn node within the vcard node. More generally, why doesn't nearest-in-parent [1] start with the current node rather than the parent node?

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/algorithm-nearest-in-parent

Peace,
Scott