Jeremy Keith wrote:

James Craig wrote:
Due to opening up the pattern a bit more, there will also need to be a flag to indicate when to use title attribute versus contents. Something like this "useTitle" class:

No, this smells like a really bad idea. That class is now an instruction for machines.

Fair enough. Retracted. I would however recommend limiting the very specific classes so that it's not abused to hide data other than specifically machine readable info like the ISO dates and Geo coords.

For the record, I believe the machine-readable RFC type vales (home, work, cell, fax, etc.) also fall into this category, mainly for the sake of i18n. The spec now forces them to be visible, yet it does not make sense to force English words to be visible on pages in other languages. Hence the example:

<abbr class="type" title="home" xml:lang="es">Casa</abbr>

James