Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for your fast and complete answers.

Le Friday 11 September 2015 à 20:07 +0000, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
> Jean Delvare dixit:
>
> >Dear mksh developers,
>
> Feel free to use the singular ☺ we’re all just one person, be
> it mksh, bash, ksh93, lynx, ncurses, xterm… all those projects
> are done by one person (sometimes even the same).

I know the feeling ;-)

> >A customer of ours is migrating from ksh-93 to mksh. They reported the
>
> Interesting, but, depending on the scripts, probably hard (lots
> of other ksh93 extensions, such as float, will not be there either).

Thanks for the hint. Customers are just starting to migrate, on our
request (as it turns out that ksh-93 has a lot of bugs and upstream is
hardly active so we did not feel like supporting it any more) and this
is the first incompatibility I hear about.

> [ all parts of a pipeline are run in subshells ]
> >I would like to ask if this is:
> >
> >1* A deliberate design decision, and this will never change.
>
> An implementation choice, and while the status of this was
> not set in stone for several years, some time ago (I’d have
> to look when) I decided to make it into a formal language
> feature, i.e. it will never change.

OK, noted. I'll let the customer know.

> Scripts can use this, e.g:
>
> # here, set +o foo is active
> cat "$@" | while …; do set -o foo; …; done
> # here, set +o foo is active again

Sorry but I do not understand how this relate to the problem at hand?
Just an illustration of another change in subshells that do not
propagate to the main shell?

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support