I looked into dot.mkshrc and it really let me customize PS1. But I'm still
having trouble getting it to look just as I had before. The part that looks
especially hard is \w (that uses ~ instead of /home/user/). I can't see who to
do it without sed, which would be a big hack in my opinion.

Esc+^L is what I was looking for!
You know any way to make ^L behave this way by default?
I'm not sure about what's bind/rebind.

Have a safe trip. We talk back when you're not on the road. Thanks.