Hi John,

> It seems I might have come across an actual bug this time :-)

perhaps ;) But thanks for writing anyway, it’s always nice to
see what users run into.

> From the man page:
>
>     kill-region: ^W
>             Deletes the input between the cursor and the mark.

But also from the manpage:

     delete-word-backward: [n] Pfx1+ERASE (^[^H), WERASE (^W), ^[^?, ^[^H, ^[h

I fear that, when WERASE is defined by stty(1), it overwrites the
prior definition of kill-region.

If you want to rebind it to kill-region independent on stty(1),
add “bind ^W=kill-region” to your ~/.mkshrc file.

If your WERASE is set to something else, it’d likewise overwrite
that. HP/UX is famous for having # bound to VINTR (IIRC), meaning
every time you write # there it acts as if you had pressed ^C.

> Is this a bug?

This is how I was taught Unix terminals behave. Note that those
settings documented in the manual page are only the default; run
“bind” to find out the currently active ones. We even define some
default bindings for OS/2…

I guess this is “a missing FAQ entry”. (Feel free to write in
with suggestions for that as well.)

> Other commands, like evaluate-region, work fine.

There’s a bug in evaluate-region that it seems to work only once,
sometimes, which I have yet to find, unfortunately.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<cnuke> den AGP stecker anfeilen, damit er in den slot aufm 440BX board passt…
oder netzteile, an die man auch den monitor angeschlossen hat und die dann für