Hello,

My university provided me with an outlook email which
authenticates through OAuth2 tokens to access their IMAP/SMTP
servers. Can OpenSMTPD relay mail to their SMTP server by
authenticating with the OAuth2 token?

I am using mutt_oauth2.py[1] to obtain the OAuth2 refresh and
access tokens. I download my mail from the IMAP server
with fdm using xoauth2 as the authentication method. I
currently use msmtp with xoauth2 as the authentication method to
deliver mail to the SMTP server. I would like to use OpenSMTPD
to authenticate with the OAuth2 token so that I can relay mail
to the SMTP server.

The smtpd.conf manual documents the relay method with:
auth <table>
where a file specified by table(5) stores the credentials in the
form:
label   email-address:password
Since the password from come from an access token, the field
would need to be updated. Additionally, the authentication
method xoauth2 would need to be passed to the smtp server.

The possibility of relaying mail to SMTP servers using OAuth2
authentication methods looks promising. I would be thankful for
any help.

--
fr3

[1] https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/blob/master/contrib/mutt_oauth2.py