> I never said that. PF isn't the only way to block packets, like TCP
> wrappers or ACL's within the server itself.

That is horse shit, and shows that you don't know how actual code works.
I prefer to filter problems BEFORE THE ACTUAL CODE RUNS.  Perhaps you
don't know what a pre-authentication bug is.

> It seems that adding
> another layer to the mix takes up more CPU and RAM than needed, since
> most servers have some sort of ACL list for acceptable hosts, and tcp
> wrappers does a good job too.

More horshit.  It uses LESS memory and cpu than all that TCP filters,
and actually making the application wake up and decide that it does
not want a connection.

You are 100% wrong.