> Assuming that the problem turns out to be that the dhcp request for
> fxp1 is always routed out of fxp1 (makes sense, right?) what can I do
> to have it routed out the other interface via bridging?  (Remembering
> that the solution has to work symmetrically, if in some other deployment
> it is the other of the two interfaces which can't see the DHCP server...)

Confirmed that this is the problem.  Two ways: 1) I changed /etc/netstart
to bring up the bridge before it configures the interfaces.  Dirty, but
it works - and the internal interface still didn't manage to talk to
the dhcp server; and 2) I manually killed the dhclient process for fxp1
once everything was running smoothly from a clean boot, and manually
started "dhclient -d fxp1" - and again, it did not talk to the dhcp
server even though the bridge was already running by that point for sure..

I could force the traffic from one interface to the other with pf
and a route-to option, but only if I know which interface the dhcp
server is connected to.  Since I cannot make that assumption (it
depends on where in the network the bridge is inserted) I can't see
a solution.  Well, short of some really hacky code to scan the output
of ifconfig -A, and rewrite a new version of pf.conf on the fly.

Can anyone think of some ingenious rule for pf that will get me what
I need?  This is the last significant stumbling block in a long
project to build a completely idiot-proof spam filter that works
just like a commercial appliance - plug it in and use it, no
config necessary.  (Actually the *last* stumbling block will be
a completely idiot-proof installer - or a live CD - but I'll cross
that bridge when I come to it.  No pun intended.)

Graham