I'm not sure what you mean by social but Plan 9 development from Bell is pretty
slow/opaque and the rest of the community scattered and headless. I don't care
for Inferno and Rob Pike unfortunately took a job at Google ("why Rob,
why??":-). Plan 9's file paradigm is great but their 3-button mouse UI is crap.

Security-wise Plan 9 doesn't have any creds, good or bad, but hardware support
without source review is worthless, i.e. "you don't know where that code has
been". OpenBSD's proactive about security and privacy (f.ex autoconfigprivacy
to mask your MAC on ipv6 sockets), pf is unmatched, etc.

The only thing I miss is an X-less framebuffer in OpenBSD even it'd support
just a console and text editor. IMHO X has to die, it's a huge pile of crap.

-- p