On 06/12/17 10:54, Donald Allen wrote:
On 11 June 2017 at 19:16, Davor Balder <da...@cropakglobal.com> wrote:

On 06/12/17 06:06, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
I spent yesterday and today installing 6.1 from scratch on a Dell Optiplex
gx620. The machine has a pentium 4 @3.0GHz with 4GB non ECC RAM, returning a
passmark of 354*. The aim is to replace the accountant's windows 10 pro
tomorrow morning, moving the disk into his more recent Dell. In summary, I
have everything he needs, including a gui that looks like windows 7, except
for the following, so far:

a toolbar icon for the printer and a gui for cups, configuring and testing
the printer (cups), the scanner (sane),  and the remote desktop to a windows
server (vnc).

The only thing that refrains me from using it myself is the lack of
Apple-like keyboard shortcuts on everything. They are a real time saver;
forget about mouse and menu bars, you do everything everywhere with the same
command-s, command-c, command-z, etc. By comparison, copying and pasting
across windows and vim on other OSs is a royal pain. Opening tabs on
terminal, firefox, file manager, vim, you name it: just command-t.
They are not everyone's cup of tea, but I use a tiling window manager
with OpenBSD (I like xmonad, but there are other choices: dwm, i3,
awesome; there's also spectrwm, written originally, I believe, by
someone formerly associated with OpenBSD; I've tried it multiple times
over the years and always had problems with it). The point of these
things is, at least in part, exactly what you are talking about --
avoiding having to move between keyboard and mouse by providing
keyboard commands for just about everything (everything you describe
above is just as easy with my setup as on a Mac; I've used both and
prefer the OpenBSD/xmonad setup). Tilers also eliminate the need to
spend time rearranging windows. I do not use a desktop system; just
the window manager, the Rox filer and dmenu. I used xmobar for battery
and date-time info displayed on the bar at the top of the screen.

You are right.

For example on my setup, I've been playing with cwm and fvwm of late. I also have xfce and gnome installed that I use less frequently.

A word of warning: I found I have issues with libreoffice running in cwm (it crashes). However, if I load thunar then crashes are not as frequent. Loading nautilus in cwm and then libreoffice completely kills X and puts me in command line.

Fvwm (interestingly enough) does not give me any of those issues so I have been running fvwm if I have to edit a document in libreoffice (my work requires me to do this). I am happy and comfortable with this minimalist setup. Command line is my friend!

I will be happier when abiword is updated to the recent version (there is a black screen bug with the current port/version). Abiword is lighter than libreoffice writer.

Cheers