On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 11:26:15PM -0500, Allan Streib wrote:
> Mike Coddington <m...@coddington.us> writes:
>
> > There was a useful tool that someone posted on misc a while back called
> > netcalc. I think this is its website:
> > https://jamsek.dev/posts/2019/Sep/21/ipv4-and-ipv6-cidr-subnet-calculator/
> > Check it out if you want to get a better grasp on CIDR notation.
>
> There is also ipcalc in packages and that is one I use frequently,
> though it's only for IPv4.
>
> $ ipcalc 104.149.1.112/28
> address   : 104.149.1.112
> netmask   : 255.255.255.240 (0xfffffff0)
> network   : 104.149.1.112   /28
> broadcast : 104.149.1.127
> host min  : 104.149.1.113
> host max  : 104.149.1.126
>
> Allan

So, what happens with 104.149.1.112? Does anybody get to actually use
it? Or is it just a placeholder?

I never really paid a lot of attention to CIDR until I started to need a
lot of IP addresses for websites, email, etc. for TLS/SSL certs.

I stumbled upon this server where I have my other two and I couldn't
pass up $31 a month. I can't reasonably backup properly at home, too
slow a connection.

Chris