On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 07:28:54PM -0800, Sean Kamath wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 2020, at 14:24, Aham Brahmasmi <aham.brahma...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > For the defaults, I try to explicitly write some of them sometimes. I
> > find this helpful because it is difficult for me to remember what the
> > defaults are. However, I do understand that I run the risk of being
> > caught unawares if the defaults are changed for some good reason.
> > Trade-offs :)
>
> That is what I use comments for. ;-)
>
> a) Tells me what I *think* the defaults are
> b) Reminds me I’m *using* the defaults
> c) When the defaults change, makes it easy to find out why things break (if
> they break, which they haven’t in recent memory)
>
> Sean

Which raises the question of knowing when the defaults change.
Waiting until things *obviously* break doesn't address the time that
things *silently* break.
Silent breakage seems like a pretty serious security problem.
Having the syntax pass OK is not the same thing as having what you need
or want.
I really don't see how any linter can accomplish such a complex question.
Is my conf REALLY doing the right thing? Seems to. But maybe not.

For a good example, a small mistake in smtpd.conf will run just fine,
but with truly disastrous results.

Chris Bennett