On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 05:12:29PM +0500, ofthecentury wrote:

> My USB mouse and keyboard hang intermittently.
>
> Very weird things happen, i.e. my mouse's red LED
> light begins to flicker in a very weird fashion, or my
> keyboard stops responding and my sound output
> is suddenly muted by itself (I don't even touch sound).
>
> This was in the /var/log/messages regarding sound:
> wrapper-2.0: vfprintf %s NULL in "[xfce-mixer-plugin.
> c:374 xfce_mixer_plugin_set_property]: could not
> set sound-card to '%s', trying the default card instead"
> wrapper-2.0: vfprintf %s NULL in "%s: muted"
>
> Nothing else to show up in /var/log/messages. Is there
> a more detailed log?

This sounds to me like it might be due to USB stack performance problems,
though you'll at least want to give `dmesg` output so that those who better
understand this have a chance of helping.

FWIW, there seem to be notable differences in USB performance on nominally
similar hardware with OpenBSD. On an AMD 7900x w/MSI motherboard, I had
very few USB performance problems (though there were other non-USB issues).
On an Intel 13900k w/Asus motherboard I have frequent, significant, USB
performance problems. Every USB peripheral suffers from random disconnects,
particularly under load. This is most notable with USB sound and USB
webcam, which disconnect several times per hour, but the USB keyboard and
USB mouse are also sometimes affected (perhaps once a week, mostly the
mouse).

I have absolutely no idea what the cause for this difference might be. The
CPU and motherboard differences might be significant or not, I don't know.
And it may, or may not, have any relation to the symptoms you're seeing.

Laurie