On 2024-04-01, Sandeep Gupta <gupta.sand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However when i tried to log from the console -- the login message shows but
> the system logs me out immediately.
> On the desktop gui too, with only root I was able to login. But running
> xterm from the fvwm menu fails.
> I am a bit clueless as to how to gain access to the system.

Try this:

Boot into single-user mode ("boot -s" at the boot loader prompt)
fsck -p
mount -a -t nonfs

Hopefully that will get you access to the system. You can try looking at
system logs to see if that gives any clues about the problem. TERM won't
be set so you may want to use e.g. "TERM=xterm less /var/log/messages"
etc. $HOME/.xsession-errors might give some clues too.

If you think that updating packages might help then 'sh /etc/netstart'
to get working net and proceed with pkg_add -u as usual.