---- Original message ----
>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:03:55 +0200
>From: Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Opinion of MySQL 5.xx on OpenBSD 3.9...
>To: misc@openbsd.org
>
>* Toni Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-09-07 12:14]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, 22.06.2006 at 12:49:22 +0200, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> > I haven't seen stability problems with mysql on OpenBSD in a long time.
>> > not even on sparc64.
>>
>> then you are very lucky, imho.
>
>no, you are very unlucky or doing something very wrong.

i too was "unlucky" until i read some posts on misc@ several months back. adding

_mysql:\
        :datasize=1024M:\
        :maxproc=4096:\
        :openfiles-cur=2048:\
        :openfiles-max=8192:\
        :stacksize-cur=16M:\
        :tc=default:

to /etc/login.conf to make a login class for mysql fixes the problem with mysql
having too many open files when you start the server with a command like

# Start MySQL server
if [ -x /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe ] ; then
         su -c _mysql root -c '/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
--log-error=/var/mysql/error.log &' > /dev/null
fi

in /etc/rc.local.

>as said before, our mysqlds on sparc64, mp- & up-i386, and sparc are
>very stable; some see more than 400 queries/s sometimes.

since i've made this change, mysql runs quite well. i can't speak for activity
levels like henning quotes here, but i haven't had any problems since i made
these aforementioned changes.

this info is in the misc@ archives if you care to search for it.