> OpenBSD Founder Theo deRaadt Has Conflict of Interest With AMD
>    By David Marcus, 2007-08-05 03:41:29
>    Section: Technology, Topic:
>
>    I formerly had a great deal of respect, bordering on admiration, for
> Theo deRaadt's refusals to compromise his open source principles, even in
> the face of stiff opposition. Although he has occasionally gone
> over-the-top, recommended some frankly very dubious changes to OpenBSD,
> and is regularly arrogant (which is even more annoying because he's so
> often right!), he's always remained consistent in his devotion to the
> cause of GNU/Free Software.
>
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/8/2/15233/84896

Too bad the author of that article is totally lying.  Neither I or the
project have no donation relationship with AMD.

The only donations the project ever got from AMD were three prototype
AMD64 machines.

Two were given to us before the AMD64 had even shipped to the public,
so that they could benefit from us running on AMD64 cpus.  They were
desktop machines with Athlon HX processors at 1.6GHz.  One is in
Sweden, the other in Calgary.  One nice thing about those machines is
that the BIOS does no self tests, and therefore boots really really
fast.

The third machine was a quad-cpu Opteron machine the size of a fridge,
but that was quite a bit later, and it was surplus to us.  I think
these were called "Melody" machines, or a name similar to that.

I am sure that we've had more hardware donations from Intel.  I am
also sure we've had WAY MORE donations from VIA/Centaur, even yet.

I'd love to know that there have been more donations from AMD.  If
there had been, perhaps we could spend them on a hackathon in the
future.

It's amazing how people these days can just invent commentary out of
their ass, and have thousands of people read it and change their bias.
It's slander, that's exactly what it is, and I ask that the editors
take that article down and force some sort of apologize for it.