Siju George wrote:

I thought by running an amd64 kernel will get me twice the speed than
an i386 on an amd64 machine since one is 64 bit processing and the
other is just 32 bit :-(

64 bit processors (combined with 64 bit capable operating systems) have the ability to address more RAM than 32 bit processors because 64^2 is a much larger number than 32^2... lots more RAM addresses).

This does not speed things up, though, until you run out of RAM, and start having to access the swapfile.

The processor's speed... MHz, GHz, etc., will determine how fast the processor itself can process instructions.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
        http://robertwittig.net/