Richard Toohey wrote:
Asking the obvious questions to eliminate them first ...

1. Official CDs?

2. Can you read/copy the CD on *any* machines / *any* OS?

3. Specifically - if you FTP install OpenBSD , can you then mount / copy / do anything with the CD?

4. dmesg(s)

Personal experience ...

I have installed 3.8 to 4.2 from CDs on machines from P3 500 to Pentium D 2.something via Celeron 900Mhz (Dells, HPs, Compaqs, desktops and laptops) - only real issue was a bogus 4.1 CD than no machine would touch.

I had a CD error with 4.2 today (same CD that I have done 3 installs with already!) when extracting Xenocara - so I umounted, ejected, took CD out, waggled it around while saying magic incantation, remounted, and tried again and it worked (well, no errors reported.)

HTH, YMMV, IANAD, etc.