Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
ASC/ASCQ 0x11/0x06 would appear to mean "CIRC Unrecovered Error".
These values are listed in /usr/src/sys/scsi_base.c, line 1207 and
following. The error text is left out of install kernels to save
space.

Some random Googling gave me

"A CIRC unrecovered data error is defined as a block for which the
CIRC based error correction algorithm was unsuccessful on all read
attempts up to the read retry count. Layered error correction was
not used."

at

http://www.t10.org/ftp/x3t9.2/document.89/89-108r0.txt

Obvously our read retry count is 3 in this case. I don' know if
the other OS's you tried have larger values and eventually
succeeded, or if they just didn't happen to hit the same block. But
it looks like an inability to read a particular block from that CD
on that system.

.... Ken
That explains the *what* (sort of), but not the why. Given that this occurs on four different systems, with four different drives, with upwards of eight different IDE cables (both 40- and 80-conductor), and that it's across multiple releases and multiple CD's, there has to be something I'm doing wrong. I'm just at a loss as to what.