On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Brynet <bry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know not everyone uses OpenBSD for a desktop OS, but I have been for
> nearly 5 years and I'm quite curious about some of your opinions? do you
>  embrace minimalism or pure aesthetics? are the two mutually exclusive?
>
> When I started using OpenBSD (..around 3.7) I was frequently switching
> between window managers, tweaking.. but for 2 years now I've been using
> fluxbox and I believe I'm comfortable with it.
>
> * Do you use one of the bundled window managers like
> cwm(1)/twm(1)/fvwm(1) or something else?
> * What other utilities do you find useful, any "dockapps" or similar
> applets? personal customizations?
> * Do you try to keep things uniform across other desktops?
> * What does your environment look like? anyone willing to post
> screenshots or actual workspace photos?
>
> I realize none of this may be relevant or even useful, but I figured it
> was worth asking here anyway.
>
> Anyone feel like humouring me? :-)
>
> Thanks.
> -Bryan.

$ pkg_info -t | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | sed 's/-[[:digit:]].\{1,\}$//' | xclip
amsn
amule
d-feet
dejavu-fonts
dosbox
dvd+rw-tools
easytag
emesene
epdfview
firefox35
galculator
gcc
gimp
gmake
gnome-games
gqview
gtk-gnutella
gtk2-clearlooks-engine
gucharmap
hydrogen
inkscape
ion
kqemu
leafpad
mercurial
mpc
mpd
mplayer
no-ip
openoffice
php5-core
pidgin
python
qemu
quake
scrot
tango-icon-theme-extras
thewidgetfactory
tightvnc
tightvnc-viewer
transmission-gui
unrar
unzip
valknut
vlc
vorbis-tools
xchat
xclip
zenity
zip

Mozilla Firefox extensions:
CheckPlaces
DOM Inspector
DownThemAll!
DownloadHelper
Firebug
LiveClick
Rotate Image
SortPlaces

GTK+ control theme: Darkilouche
GTK+ icon theme: Tango

I use ion3 as my wm, made my own skin for it. Most of the time I'm
running Mozilla Firefox, Pidgin,  XChat.

Screen shot:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1508/201001030239311024x768s.png

There I'm running:
galculator | leafpad | Mozilla Firefox
----------------------
mpdfind | xterm      |
--------------------------------------
xchat

Obviously not my usual layout. I have key bindings for much of those apps:

F2, xterm
F3, run
F4, galculator
F5, leafpad
F6 + file name, leafpad <file>
F7 + file name, mplayer <file>

<Ctrl> + <Alt> + J, mpdfind (let's me select a file to play with mpc,
pretty cool)
<Ctrl> + <Alt> + <End>, mpc stop
Etc.

Greetings.