On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:02 -0500, "Scott McEachern" <sc...@erratic.ca>
wrote:
> Manuel Giraud wrote:
> > I wasn't clear enough: by "new package", I meant "a package not
> > installed on my system yet" and not "the bleeding edge version of one
> > package".
> >

> Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood.
> > Maybe I'll stick to -current too. But I'd like to give try staying
> > -stable for a while and I could still play with the new toys every 6
> > month anyway. I wonder why does the FAQ recommend -stable over -current?
> >

>  From the FAQ:
>
> "Put bluntly, the "best" version of OpenBSD is /-current/."
>
> Please read the FAQ.  It is explained why there are situations where
> -stable is more _suitable_ for some people, -current for others.

If -stable does not work for you, there are at least two ways (in my
mind) to use -current.

1. Download today's snapshot, which is -current, along with the
ports.tar.gz that comes with it and then install and use that for months
without actively following -current. Basically, you don't try to keep up
and are only -current for a short while. I do that sometimes and have
never had an issue. At times you may end up with a funky system that is
not -stable or -current but it works just fine and has appropriate
documentation.

2. Download today's snapshot, which is -current, and then actively keep
up with the source tree. Most people probably use -current in this
fashion and this is probably the way the developers intend for it to be
used.

As a user, I can only speak for myself, but having used -current in both
ways, I can say that either approach works.

Brad