On 3/5/10, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
> Well, sometimes we fuck up -current.
>
>  Not on purpose, but it happens.
>
>  If you run into a broken snapshot, you may have to wait a few days until
>  a new snapshot hits the mirrors, usually with everything fixed.
>
>  ... and so, your system may be fucked for a few days.
>
>  That said, we never get enough tests before the release. So problems happen
>  right after release, usually, because everyone was too lazy to test things.
>
>  Developers get frustrated with that. Theo gets *very* cranky over that.
>
>  The solution is probably to entice more test-bunnies into OpenBSD, so that
>  more tests gets done.
>
>  We're very far from lemmings-linux, aka debian, where very little engineering
>  actually gets done, and where the whole development process relies on hordes
>  of lemmings^Wusers going over the cliff to actually get things to work. ;-)

Ok is that sarcasm, or are you for real?

Anyway, at least one person has this opinion:

"Yes, a basic understanding, plus the understanding that you need to
"catch" a set of commits completely.  That requires some understanding
of the code at some level.  Fortunately messing that up only means that
you have to wait and update again, and not make the mistake of posting
on a mailing list that something is wrong.  I just did this, with the new
distributed package builder that Marc Espie has redone--had I paid more
attention,  I would have seen that new stuff was added, which fixed the
particular problem I had."

Would it be ok to say that -current is probably not a good idea on
production systems, for some people (who for whatever reasons can't do
what is recommended in the above comment). I am not a C/*nix
developer, should I really risk running current in production because
I may not understand which snapshot to run?

The other problem, that gets mentioned is some people are forced to
run -current because some packages will only work with -current, and
backporting sucks for many reasons.

Would it be possible to give at least some information about where the
progress is when each snapshot is made, or should it be assumed that a
snapshot represents the source tree at a relatively stable state most
of the time?

Just trying to figure this out.

Thanks.