On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:12:17PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
> On 3/5/10, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:

[snippz0rz]

> >  We're very far from lemmings-linux, aka debian, where very little
> > engineering
> >  actually gets done, and where the whole development process relies on
> > hordes
> >  of lemmings^Wusers going over the cliff to actually get things to work. ;-)
>
> Ok is that sarcasm, or are you for real?

I have never seen espie@ in the same room as sarcasm, so I can only assume
they are the same person.

> Anyway, at least one person has this opinion:
>
> "Yes, a basic understanding, plus the understanding that you need to
> "catch" a set of commits completely.  That requires some understanding
> of the code at some level.  Fortunately messing that up only means that
> you have to wait and update again, and not make the mistake of posting
> on a mailing list that something is wrong.  I just did this, with the new
> distributed package builder that Marc Espie has redone--had I paid more
> attention,  I would have seen that new stuff was added, which fixed the
> particular problem I had."
>
> Would it be ok to say that -current is probably not a good idea on
> production systems, for some people (who for whatever reasons can't do
> what is recommended in the above comment). I am not a C/*nix
> developer, should I really risk running current in production because
> I may not understand which snapshot to run?

It's not a matter of "which snapshot to run"; it's not like they're
numbered with 4.6.x.y.z.aa.bb.cc. Snapshots are made periodically,
and you've got a Hobson's choice: take it or don't.

> The other problem, that gets mentioned is some people are forced to
> run -current because some packages will only work with -current, and
> backporting sucks for many reasons.

Unless you're running one of those, it doesn't affect you. Are you? You
apparently don't know, no one is more qualified to answer these questions
than you can.

What you're looking to gain from this email exchange is what people call
"experience", which is what you get when you fuck something up a few times,
not when you write an endless series of emails.

So go fuck some shit up, and figure out what works for you.  Go ahead and
blog it. Write it down on the diary you keep under your bed. Use a gigantic
laser to scribe it on the moon. Just, seriously, *do* something, instead of
discussing it to death.

This is worse than everybody being done, except for that one person who
always chimes in with a "well, what about...?" in Monday-morning meetings.

> Would it be possible to give at least some information about where the
> progress is when each snapshot is made, or should it be assumed that a
> snapshot represents the source tree at a relatively stable state most
> of the time?

No; search the archives for why (OH! SICK BURN!)