On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Jeff Ross <jr...@openvistas.net> wrote:
> Jeff Ross wrote:
>>
>> Henning Brauer wrote:
>>>
>>> * Jeff Ross <jr...@openvistas.net> [2010-03-02 16:59]:

>>> do you have the air shroud? this plastic thing that forms a "tunnel"
>>> over the heatsinks? it is required.
>>>

>> No, the motherboard didn't come with that. B If I can find one will that
>> mean I don't need the active heatsinks?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> As a followup, here's what I have done to try to alleviate this:
>
> I bought and installed the plastic air shroud using the passive heatsinks
> that came with the motherboard. B System still overheats and shuts down
> within a couple of B minutes.
>
> I bought 2 AMD brand active heatsinks, specific to this processor, and
> installed them. B That meant I had to ditch the plastic air shroud, but the
> motherboard manual says that active heatsinks are suggested for 2U chassis
> and the air shroud was only $10. B I also used new heat sink compound when
> put everything together.
>
> System seems to run okay at idle. but make it work a little--like compiling
> a kernel or tar-ing up a big file and the temp indicator comes on and
sysctl
> reports
> temps (on both the kate and lm sensors) finally exceeding 100 degrees C on
> one processor, with the other is not that far behind at over 80 deg C.
>
> At that point the system shuts down.
>
> I'm at a loss as what to try next. B If I've read the AMD specs correctly
> these processors should not exceed 71 deg C but I see temps near that at
> inear dle.
>
> Did I just get a lemon motherboard/CPU combo? B I still have a couple of
days
> on my 30 day exchange if this is the case.

I'd get it all swopped out, something's very suspect there.

I've got 8 Opteron 250 servers at the office that I regularly pound
the heck out of (dist-cc cluster for bulk and repetitive building of
software) and the hottest we've ever seen the CPUs go was 42deg.

--
"Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work."