Jerry:

Not having done anything but read the N-L, I would hazard the opinion that the
shortage of circuit court judges is the worst long-term problem in local law
enforcement.  Getting the State to supply us with more judges will take an act
of God and a turn-around in the State's finances.  In the meantime, we are
stuck
with that problem.

The County has wrung the last nickel out of their budget.  The only thing that
will alleviate their problem is a hypothetical big increase in sales taxes. The
latest monthly payback from the State went down 5%. Or maybe the State will
magnanimously pay the county the full per diem amount they are supposed to
pay.   HAH!

I do agree that the lack of deputies in the jail creates an internal safety
hazard, but adding more jailers is merely bandaging the wound without healing
anything.

Turning out the 'least' violent jail offenders on probation is not a good
solution in any sense of the word.

Our paying for more prosecuters will, in my opinion, do not anything
significant
in reducing the jail count - - as long as we are short of judges.

Hey, maybe you have a better way to fix 'what is wrong with the system"? The
more I learn about the 'system', the worse it looks. I'm sorta stuck on any
good
ideas.

Jim Hornaday