hi there its Ron Stewart from Indamixx I'm on the email thread so if I can
chime in on any of this.
My situation for our new product Indamixx DJ Stick (just bumped out a
indiegogo page a week ago)
uses a custom (overly complicated resource heavy-It's Intel thats them)
build route that allows us to kick out our own ROLLED distro. This release
is drastically different than any other from Indamixx Labs in that were
using Yocto and building right on the ARM targets (ballsy){this yocto thing
from Intel is our old Meego plus Tizen were just familiar with these usual
suspects which is funny cuz Intel listened to Me and Gabe 4 years ago and
adopted many of our suggested ways to handle all this legacy code OS etc
etc} what is different than previous releases is that we are only putting
Mixxx on the stick some custom light guis some forced kernel work adhoc
patches for whats broken then fixes same ol same ol.

sorry for the 3 long sentences didn't mean to be long in the tooth.....
I mentioned our change because it bums me out that we've put out laptops
netbooks tablets that was mega packed with open source software plus pay
ones too but over and over again the customer was not savvy enough to
realize they really had an entire studio in the computer so this time were
going with one trick pony.
We can post how to's on a wiki if one wants to add like LMMS which runs
awesome on our tiny CPU board.

ok so there is some current and past established before I say this:
We sold some product, Mixxx and Indamixx won an important industry award in
2009.  Samsung paid for a commercial for Mixxx and Indamixx with Cut
Chemist (I personally saw the expense it was nearly 127K from Samsung,
MONEY SPENT WRONG but spent on the boys LOL) I spent way over 350K trying
to make the world better using open source so I am comfortable writing to
you and providing encouragement.  First you're gunna have many changes plus
were DJs and the party don't start til we get there and until some breaks
something spills drinks or WE do both LOL.
I don't know what you guys are up to but I'm sure its cool.  Mixxx is
special.  Mixxx has their own goals and milestones that DO NOT sometimes
pair up with my goals.  Mixxx sometimes is like restoring an old car its a
labor love that is why we offered the Adopt A DJ and hard money for dev on
Mixxx.  I was shocked no one chipped in but they will.
We're entertainers and I'm LA LA land (Los Angeles) so the show must go on
and that goes for all of us.
Think about this.... stick with Mixxx see if you can just come along side
Mixxx and work within the method that is available to all of us. Maybe Im
off here or I don't entirely know your scope for your project but someone
did say stay within and it doesnt seem like you're entirely a real FORK
maybe you can stay in the Mixxx lane for dev and for your
installation/OS/distro that takes its course or destiny.
Besides in 10 years you might not be on the project as someone asked if the
original cats are still around... they are Im sure Garth and Albert and
(geez I think age is catching up to me hehe) are still around.

Lastly I would look deeper into name rights with the word Crossfader as I
know for a fact that this word is a DJ and audio brain child of Microsoft
(I'm not MS guy guys shit I got fired from there when I was 21 in 1990).
But Crossfader lost alot of money is the MS pro audio division at MS.
Might not even matter but I would hate to know that name was heavily funded
and failed and not tell you guys.  That isn't how its done in Seattle where
I grew up.

Maybe for all the spinoff projects like the ones we have out we can attach
a common meeting point on the platform call it Respun.  Radio announcer
"Respun its still Mixxx with a twist!, batteries not included" :)

Thank you

Ron Stewart
Indamixx