At 03:49 PM 12/5/00 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Well as you've probably figured out, based on the load of email from me,
>I've dropped my last job, in order to finally finish the mod_perl book,
>have some rest and make a push to mod_perl.
>
>Yesterday I've updated the stats page:
>http://perl.apache.org/netcraft/ and the results are so-so, we go down on
>the number of domains. Which I suppose mainly caused by people reading the
>guide and deploying the front-end proxy solution, thus making mod_perl
>un-seen by various scanners like netcraft.
>
>In Paris we couldn't hire a single mod_perl programmer, because people
>don't even know what that. They know a lot about php and ASP. It's true
>that they don't even know what's Perl :(
>
>But, you all know that php pretty much takes over. Why? For two reasons:
>1) initial corporate pushing (press/ads)
>2) once well known, the word of the mouth does the rest.

Is this really what it is? I guess I must be ignoring the PHP ads cuz I
dont see THAT many.

I think #1 is a little odd because I think Perl has gotten a lot of press
and advertisement compared to PHP. Mod_perl is really just a technology on
top of Perl then.

I think someone mentioned that the PHP website was quite rich with recipes
and links to applications written to work with PHP. If people knew there
was an open source source of apps for mod_perl, they'd probably be more
inclined to use it because then mod_perl wouldn't be about being forced to
develop an app from scratch.

>mod_perl lucks the corporate money/PR to get pushed. But we can still work
>on the exposure, which will bring corporate money/PR thru the word of the
>mouth.

Perhaps Covalent could sponsor an ad in a large computer magazine. I am not
sure that would help necessarily though.

>Luckily Matt has got sick of waiting for someone to work on the advocacy
>of mod_perl and he has just taken over it. Having a good informational
>site is good, but it's not enough. We need to solve the problem of people
>to find this site and wanting to use mod_perl. Solution? Spreading the
>word.

I think provided Matt gets the articles, that will go a long way. I'm busy
working on my submission about using CGI::Carp and mod_perl. (Just kidding
about the subject matter Matt).

>I see two main streams:
>1) Online zines.
>2) Conferences.
>
>I think that we should start working on locating ezines wanting to publish
>mod_perl related articles (preferrably for a fee, to give incentives for
>others to write) and conferences where mod_perl can be relevant. The data
>is to be collected and distributed to the people who wish to advocate
>mod_perl, thru written articles and conference classes. I suppose that we
>will also look for companies who want to order mod_perl classes and find
>the teachers in the appropriate areas.
>
>May be we could organize some certification classes, to give more PR to
>mod_perl.

Maybe Randal's company (which I *think* specializes in training among other
things) could help in that area -- the idea of mod_perl certification is
more intriguing I think than just plain perl certification.