Robin Berjon wrote:

> At 23:31 13/12/2000 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >> A quick check of nsiregistry.com shows that modperlnews.(com|org|net)
> are all
> >> available.
> >
> >Too bad for you/us. You can be sure that when you will go to register any
> >of the above they will be all taken by a reseller. I've mentioned a few
> >times on this list that one should do atomic buys (tm). If you check and
> >don't buy in the same assembly opcode, someone else snoops on your search
> >and will do it for you. The only way to get a domain nowadays is to
> >check-buy atomically. I have enough examples of people who were
> >burned. I've lost stas.com 2.5 years ago, because it took me 1 day to
> >decide that I want to spend $$ on it, well it was taken the next day...
>
> That's all too true. For certain Network Solutions have a service that
> warns some people that have paid (a lot) when someone checks an address
> that doesn't exist yet. They offered it to one of the companies I worked
> for once so I know for sure.

Why does this not surprise me? Was it before or after Verisign bought them?

> This doesn't mean that modperlnew will be
> taken within hours but one should be very careful when using registrars'
> whois/dns check tools. If you could want it, buy it immediately. Maybe some
> registrars are not that kind of bandits, but it's hard to know. When the
> revolution comes, we should probably hang most of those nic people ;)

Well, I have registered (through an OpenSRS reseller I might add)
modperlnews.com and .org. If anyone is interested in using them, let me know
and I can get the DNS taken care of.

Matt, are you interested? If not, maybe I'll start my own advocacy site.  :-P

--
Drew Taylor
Software Engineer
Open a free account today at www.openair.com