Hi -
----- Original Message -----
From: dan martin
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 11:08 AM
Subject: install upgrade for mod_perl+apache 2.046 onto apache 2.044 question

I have apache 2.044 installed on win2k. I want to install the mod_perl which comes with apache included (version 2.046).

What do I need to do with the current 2.044 version before installing the new version? Do I uninstall it, stop it, or nothing?
Once I install the new version what are the steps to revert back to the old version if I run into problems?

This is an active site, so I do not want to figure this out by experimentation, if possible.

Thanks for any guidance.

dan
It's been a while since I've installed on Windows, but here goes:

1. Wait 'till the wee hours.
2. Stop your current server.
3. Uninstall the service (apache -k uninstall (?)).
4. Back it up.
5. If memory serves, Apache 2 is pretty well self contained in one directory;
    C:\Apache2 (?). Rename this directory to something like C:\Apache2.old
6. Download/install your new Apache2.
7. Copy your configuration file(s) from old to new - you shouldn't have to make
   any changes between 44 and 46. Don't worry about setting up mod_perl
   yet.
8 Start your new server and test.
9. If all is well, install the service (apache -k install (?)) and reboot and
    test again.

Now you can move on to mod_perl. To revert:

1. Stop new
2. Uninstall service.
3. rename C:\Apache2 to C:\apache2.new
4. rename C:\Apache2.old to C:\Apache2.
5. install service.
6. start old.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO FLY.

I strongly recommend getting a testing server setup on a different
box so that you can make changes such as this without interrupting
your active site. You SHOULD be able to experiment with the new
software without fear of disrupting your traffic! If there is no way you
can do that, please drop me an off-list email and perhaps I can
let you install/test remotely on one of my windows boxes.

Aloha => Beau;