On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 00:12, Steve Hay wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> [...]
> >If you feel like submitting a back-port of Apache::Reload (with or
> >without my new namespace deletion code), that has a few decents tests
> >for it and works with perl 5.5.3 up to bleadperl, I would be happy to
> >slip it into mp 1.28 with a version of 1.0_0 or similar to make sure
> >CPAN won't be fooled into installing it for now. Just noticed there is
> >Apache::Reload 0.07 on CPAN, so it would be safe.
> >
> The last patch that I submitted
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=105595499417788&w=2)
> almost fits the bill -- just remove the "if (MOD_PERL2)" stuff at the
> top for a mp1-only version.
>
> However, that uses the B module, which is only available from 5.005_03
> up.  That's all that you're asking for above, but when I previously
> pointed out that the current mp1 Makefile.PL specifies 5.003_97 up (in
> general, different on Win32/cygwin), you said that you didn't want to
> have to up the minimum requirement to 5.005_03.
>
> I also currently have no idea how to write tests for Apache modules and
> I'm unlikely to learn in the next couple of days, so unless you're happy
> with a 5.005_03 requirement for Apache::Reload and either don't mind
> having no tests or else can write some yourself then it looks like I'll
> have to wait until 1.29.

Here is what I think I am going to do in light of all this and a high
level of cafeeine...

Take Apache::Reload from mp2 as-is (it's 0.9), and mod_perl1-ify it.

Dump it in mod_perl 1

Change it's version number to 0.8_1 so CPAN won't pick it up.

Release 1.28 (eventually...)

Then work on the added functionnality for Apache::Reload and solve all
other issues of dependencies on B, ModPerl::Util::symbol_undef_code,
etc.

I don't want this issue to slow down the long-awaited release of 1.28.
But at the same time , StatINC is quite old and users of mp1 should be
'motivated' to upgrade to Apache::Reload, so it makes sense to go in mp1
as well.

Maybe for 1.29 we could even talk about deprecating/removing
Apache::StatINC alltogether, for example.

> Steve
>

> >I guess for now the simplest thing would be to _strictly_ backwards port
> >Apache::Reload with no mp2 specific code in there, just so it can be
> >shipped in 1.28, then in the 1.29-dev cycle, I can worry about getting
> >it either on CPAN or synced between both mp1 and mp2, as per the ongoign
> >discussion with you and Stas on the matter.
> >
> >So, if you feel you can whip up a complete patch within the next few
> >days, go for it. Otherwise, I'll delay this for inclusion in 1.29 (and
> >remember, I would target that one quite soon after 1.28)
> >
> >Gozer out.
> >

> >>Steve

Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5 (122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
perl -e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'