hi all,

I'm trying to setup Apache::Test with our apaches and have run into major
troubles.

CPAN refuses to install the mod without force, because all tests completely
fail. t/logs/error_log then contained error messages like these:

-----error_log------
[...]
[Tue Aug 26 14:23:47 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied:
access to /index.html failed because search permissions are missing on a
component of the path
[...]
-----error_log------

never saw such an apache error message ... ? search permissions are
missing ? what kind of stuff is that?

But a google search quickly pointed me to the source of the problem:
In a default linux & perl installation Apache::Test is very unlikely
to be installable by root (http://dbforums.com/t859484.html).

I tried to make && make test the package as a "normal" user and I succeded.
Depending on my security settings this is however just luck:

If the above posting on dbforums is correct, then the problem is because
the unpacking and building is done by user root whereas all files below t/
are chowned to the actual apache test user.

Now this works fine as long as the _apache test user_ is allowed to access
root's .cpan build area at all, and I doubt that on most systems a normal
user (such as the apache test user) will be allowed to access anything
within ~root and thus "make test" will fail.

Are there arguments against running those tests as root?

for the record:
get this for apache 1.3.28 and mp1.28 as well as with apache 2.0.47 and
mp1.99_09.

udo