I've a mod_perl application we've developed on Linux and that
we're porting on AIX (4.3.3 and 5.2.0). The AIX boxes are
supposed to be more powerful than their Linux equivalents,
however the application is strangely slow on AIX -- the httpd
configuration being similar. And that's mod_perl 1.28.

So I'm asking for the common wisdom about performance
issues on AIX. Currently the perl I use is built with
gcc and default settings. Should I set -Dusemymalloc=y ?
Should I use the xlC or vac compilers ? Should I port
everything to mod_perl 2 ? (which I haven't succeeded
to build on AIX 4 by now BTW -- but I'm working on it.)