* Anbuchezhian ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Please provide your thoughts on the problem I am facing.
>
> We use Apache 1.3.27 , mod_ssl 2.8.12 and OpenSSL 0.9.6h[engine]. The
> [engine] version is used because we use nCipher card as the hardware
> accelerator.  The error that is baffling is:
>
>  ./apachectl startssl
> ./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started
>
> ssl_engine_log :
> [30/Jan/2003 08:12:23 01657] [error] Init: Failed to enable Crypto Device
> API `chil'
>
> error_log:
> [Thu Jan 30 08:12:23 2003] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Failed to enable Crypto
> Device API `chil
>
> I do not have much idea on this. Hence I request you to me atleast some
> pointers.

Try changing the SSLLogLevel directive to spit out more information. As
apache is stopping virtually immediately, you could probaby afford to
set "SSLLogLevel debug".

Anyway, that should probably dump the OpenSSL errors to the log too,
which I believe will give you more clue as to the problem (most likely
the nCipher-specific shared-library that openssl tries to load couldn't
be found).

Cheers,
Geoff

--